3.23.2011

S O F R I T O

Contrary what you may think. . . this is not only a restaurant name. This, at least in my family, is a base/condiment/foundation that is commonly used in Latin dishes. Which in other words means that I add it in just about every dish I make (except those that I don't want to have a greenish color).

Although I have my own recipe for this, I make it differently every time. Mainly because I can't find some of the ingredients without having to drive miles to the Latin neighborhood. A few months back I found this in the NY Daily News, a recipe by Daisy Martinez...but it's still not exactly like mine, I like mine better it's been passed down from my Mami.


 


This time around (and yet again) I didn't have all the ingredients, so I did an improv and used these...with a few misc ingredients not pictured here.

 

Basically I put it all in a blender and give it a whirl and then I store it in one (or more) of these.

 

I keep it in the fridge until ready to use.



Here's my version...circa 1965 or so...


Sofrito 
(makes a lot)
  • 1 large spanish onion
  • 3 cubanelle peppers (the light green elongated ones)
  • 1 medium size head of garlic
  •  1 bunch of cilantro
  • 2 bags of recao, otherwise known as culantro (if you can't find then all of cilantro)
  •  1/4 cup of white vinegar
  • 1/4 cup of EVOO (yes...I know...Rachael Ray and her acronyms)
  • 1 packet of sazón Goya (pictured above)
  • 1 to 1 1/2 cup of water

Cut the onions and peppers into medium size pieces, peel the garlic, cut the stems off the recao, cilantro and  add it all to a blender or food processor with the vinegar. Add the water 1/2 a cup at a time as needed until it looks like a thick-ish mush. Add the oil in a slow stream with the motor running.
Store in an airtight container.

**Note: Some people like to freeze it and use as needed. I don't because I use it basically everyday.



No comments:

Post a Comment